The Southern Africa Trade Union Coordination Council (SATUCC) is offering a rare opportunity for young technical officers from its affiliates to be exposed to the work and activities of the SATUCC and the functioning of a tripartite social dialogue at sub-regional level (Southern Africa). This two week internship program intends to develop interns’ experience and skills in areas such as policy influence, engagement and activism within a trade union setting at international level.
• Provide exposure to the work and activities of SATUCC;
• Provide exposure to high-profile trade union seminars organized by SATUCC;
• Familiarisation to the operation of the tripartite social dialogue structure at sub-regional level (SADC);
• Facilitate technical support from the participants to SATUCC secretariat.
2. Young trade union technocrats familiar with the context, mandate, activities of SATUCC as sub-regional body representing workers in Southern Africa;
3. A network young trade union technocrats with a clear understanding of their roles and responsibilities to SATUCC and the sub-regional tripartite social dialogue.
4. Target group Young trade union professional/technocrats from SATUCC affiliates currently working on full time fixed term or permanent contracts.
5. Time & Duration • Two weeks within the month of July/August 2017
6. Transport & other costs SATUCC will meet the cost of the return air ticket and accommodation for the interns during their stay in Gaborone (Botswana) and also pay an allowance to cater for meals and other incidentals.
7. Requirements Interested candidates must satisfy the following: • Technical officer employed by a trade union on fixed term or permanent basis;
• At least a 2 year working experience as a full time trade union employee; • Possess a minimum of a college diploma. Possession of a first Degree or Post Graduate qualification will be an added advantage; • Not more than 35 years of age; • Familiarity with regional integration and development in SADC region; • Previous active participation in social dialogue at sectoral or national level; • Ability to work in a team • Excellent communication skills and computer literate; Applicants from SATUCC affiliates in good standing (interms of annual subscription fees to SATUCC) will have an added advantage; Young women are particularly encouraged to apply.
8. How to apply
Interested applicants who satisfy the requirements (above) must submit: i. letter of motivation; ii. Detailed C.V; iii. Copies of educational qualifications; iv. Copy of passport/ID; and v). Reference letter from their respective federations/organizations.
E-mail: paliani.chinguwo@satucc .or g or fax: +267 318 4453. The applications must be submitted not later than 1st of June 2017. Incomplete applications or applications submitted after the due date will not be considered.